Learn from CORSIA MRV
Learn from Carbon Offsetting
Learn from Alternative Fuel
KEY TOPIC AREAS FOR THE 2019 EVENT
• Progress at ICAO on the final implementation elements of CORSIA and what remains outstanding.
• How has the aviation sector fared during the first year of CORSIA CO2 emissions monitoring?
• Sustainable aviation fuel development: can it be accelerated, and how?
• What progress is there at UNFCCC on carbon market mechanisms, and will there be agreement by COP25?
• Have agreed ICAO sustainability criteria assured the environmental integrity of CORSIA?
• Carbon offsetting: what can be done to counter environmental criticisms and improve its public image?
• What has been the impact of soaring EU ETS carbon allowances upon airlines?
• Why are EU and other countries looking to impose further environmental taxes on airlines?
• What is the future for the EU ETS and can it work alongside CORSIA?
• What will be the impact on aviation of Europe’s move to a 2050 zero emissions goal?
• What are the prospects for a global long-term aviation emissions reduction target in line with the Paris Agreement?
• Are aviation industry CEOs doing enough to demonstrate climate leadership?
CORSIA MRV workshop:
This free workshop for airlines and business jet operators will help them prepare for CORSIA reporting, verification and data submission.
The content and timings in this provisional agenda are subject to change
|08.45 – 10.00||Registration, light buffet breakfast, networking|
|10.00 – 10.10||Opening of Aviation Carbon 2019|
|10.10 – 10.30||Keynote Speaker|
|10.30 – 11.15||Aviation Leaders Panel
Are industry CEOs doing enough to convince the public, investors and policymakers that they are taking responsibility for climate leadership?
Does the industry long-term goal need revisiting in the light of the move towards net zero emissions by 2050?
What technology developments and policy support are needed if the long-term goal is to be met?
|11.15 – 11.45||Presentation: (to be advised)|
|11.45 – 12.30||The view from ICAO (panel)
Update on progress at ICAO on final implementation elements of CORSIA. What has happened over the past year and what is still outstanding?
What can be done to persuade more countries, including China and India, to join CORSIA from the start?
What were the outcomes from the ICAO 40th Assembly?
What is the position of ICAO States on a long-term goal on emissions?
|12.30 – 14.00||Hot Buffet Lunch
|14.00 – 14.45||EU ETS and CORSIA (panel)
What is the current position within the European institutions and industry on the future of aviation’s inclusion in the EU ETS?
What has been the impact of soaring carbon allowance prices on airlines?
What are the implications for EU ETS post-Brexit?
|14.45 – 15.00||European airports commitment to net zero emissions by 2050 (presentation)|
|15.00 – 15.45||European taxation and carbon pricing of aviation (panel)
Why are a number of European countries looking to impose further measures on airline emissions and are they right to do so?
What are the cost implications for airlines?
|15.45 – 16.15||Refreshment Break & Networking|
|16.15 – 16.45||CORSIA sustainability criteria (presentation)
What are the sustainability criteria for CORSIA-eligible carbon credits, and has the environmental integrity of the scheme been assured?
|16.45 – 17.30||Airline experiences of CORSIA MRV (panel)
With the first year of airlines monitoring CO2 emissions under CORSIA nearly completed, how have they fared?
What approach are they adopting to purchasing carbon offsets?
|17.30 – 19.30||EVENING NETWORKING RECEPTION (DRINKS & BUFFET)|
|08.15 – 09.00||Registration, light buffet breakfast, networking|
|09.00 – 09.05||Opening of Day 2|
|09.05 – 10.00||Sustainable aviation fuels (panel)
Is the pace of development of sustainable aviation fuels moving fast enough?
How can it be accelerated?
What new advanced fuel technologies are on the horizon?
|10.00 – 10.15||What is the ICAO Technical Advisory Body and how does it operate? (presentation)|
|10.15 – 10.45||The UNFCCC and market mechanisms (panel)
What progress is being made at UNFCCC on market mechanisms and will there be an agreed outcome at COP25?
What is the likely impact on CORSIA?
|10.45 – 11.15||Refreshment Break & Networking|
|11.15 – 11.45||CORSIA and the Carbon Markets – Part 1
Overview of carbon offsetting for airlines and operators
|11.45 – 12.00||Presentation: (to be advised)|
|12.00 – 12.45||CORSIA and the Carbon Markets – Part 2
● Practical considerations for airlines participating in CORSIA
● How and where to buy carbon
● How to surrender allowances
● Project types
● Managing a portfolio of carbon projects
|12.45 – 14.15||Hot Buffet Lunch
|14.15 – 15.00||CORSIA and the Carbon Markets – Part 3
The role of Natural Climate Solutions in CORSIA and voluntary markets
|15.00 – 15.15||Presentation: (to be advised)|
|15.15 – 15.30||Refreshment Break & Networking|
|15.30 – 18.00||CORSIA MRV Workshop
● CORSIA compliance: Next steps and deadline
● CORSIA Emissions Report templates
● How to prepare for independent third-party verification
● How to select a verifier
● How to conduct internal pre-verification
● The CORSIA 3-step verification process
● How to prepare your Emissions Report
|18:00||End of ‘Aviation Carbon 2019’|